Wednesday, March 11, 2009

London From 5000 Feet



Click image to view at 800 pixels wide

At the end of a 12-hour flight from Hong Kong the last thing you want is a delay in getting on the ground, but traffic patterns must have been pretty dense as this particular Qantas 747 had to circle over London two or three times. By this time I was about 26 hours into my journey as a whole, with three rail connections still to come, and I'd really had enough of flying, much as I love planes and being in the air. But it certainly afforded the opportunity for some aerial photography and I glued my lens to the window and shot everything that appeared. This one was a break in the patchy cloud through which an elegant arc of the river was visible (looking south over the Isle of Dogs). The sun angle creates an interesting almost-prismatic light quality, especially through the clouds, and the whole image is toned toward the cool end of the sprectrum. Enhancement brought up contrast a little and the picture was sharpened. Fuji FinePix S5600, automatic. October, 2007. Image by Mike.

1 comment: